Jacques Villeneuve has left the Venturi Gand Prix Formula E team with immediate effect following the termination of his contract.
Described by the team as a 'mutual agreement', it is said that the split came after a disagreement with regard to the future direction of the team.
"Venturi Formula E Team and Jacques Villeneuve are ending their FIA Formula-E Championship collaboration in a mutual agreement," said a team statement. "The Canadian driver had joined the team early in August 2015 and participated in the first 3 rounds of the second season. The split comes after a disagreement over the future direction of the team."
He will be replaced at the upcoming Buenos Aires round by Toyota World Endurance Championship driver Mike Conway.
The former IndyCar race winner had previously tested for Dragon Racing but has yet to start a Formula E race.
"Venturi is a top team in Formula-E so it’s great to be able to join," said Conway from the Venturi Headquarters in Monaco on Thursday. "The series is innovative and quite unique. It is quickly growing momentum and it’s attractive to a lot of manufacturers to showcase their technologies - so, its exciting to be a part of the series."
"I have always liked street tracks, they are very challenging compared to a normal circuit," added the 2006 British Formula Three champion . "Normally very bumpy and different grip levels throughout the lap so they are a lot of fun!"
He will team up with Stephane Sarrazin, one of his Toyota team mates in WEC.
"Stephane and I have worked together in other series so already there is a good rapport there," he said. "So everything will be easier for me."
The next round of the 2015/16 FIA Formula E season takes place in Buenos Aires on February 6.
Images: Venturi Grand Prix, Dominik Wilde