Tuesday 10 December 2013

Citroen sign Meeke, Ostberg for 2014

Citroen Racing have announced an all new driver pairing of Kris Meeke and Mads Ostberg for the 2014 World Rally Championship season.

The pair replace Mikko Hirvonen and Hyundai-bound Dani Sordo who competed full time in 2013 whilst nine-times champion Sebastien Loeb has moved to the WTCC.

Meeke, who competed in two WRC events for Citroen this season, will embark on his first full WRC campaign. The Northern Irishman previously won the 2009 IRC championship for Peugeot before joining the ill-fated Mini WRC program. He also played a part in developing the DS3 WRC that he will be campaigning next year but despite this and his good track record, he admits that next year wont be easy.

"I think I’ve got some potential, but I still need to get some experience under my belt." He said. "The Citroën DS3 WRC is a terrific car and I’m going to be able to use the team’s knowledge to help me improve. I know that I’ll have to be patient in the first half of the season and learn all about the rallies that I haven’t done before."

Ostberg meanwhile joins from M-Sport after spending a sole season at the former Ford works squad. The Norwegian, winner of the 2012 Rally de Portugal and a four times Norwegian championship winner, was delighted to join the squad which has spent the best art of a decade at the top of the WRC.

"I am very happy and proud to be joining Citroën Racing,” explains the Norwegian. “We worked hard to get an official driver’s spot. After so many years watching Citroën win, it’s a dream come true to be part of this team."

In addition to Meeke and Ostberg, Khalid Al Qassimi will drive Sweden, Portugal, Italy and Spain whilst focusing on the Middle East rally Championship.

Citroen Racing's full rally and track programmes will be announced at a press conference on monday 16 December.


No comments:

Post a Comment